Thursday, April 17, 2008

One skill I Learnt while Acting

Bipasha Basu:"For Dhoom 2 I finally learnt to swim. Earlier I couldn't even get into the water. Swimming was required for a surfing shot. Finally though I didn't have to apply my new skill because the sea was too rough. But at least I learnt how to swim."

Amitabh Bachchan: "For the first time in my career I had to learn a skill for Sanjay Bhansali's Black. I learnt the sign language. I think this silent but utterly eloquent way of communicating helped me become a better humanbeing and actor."

Victor Banerjee: "The one skill that I had the hardest time learning for a role, was a bit of a joke. You see, I had to learn to speak Urdu for my first film ever in Hindi Shatranj Ke Khiladi, and that too for the mighty Satyajit Ray.

I had three Urdu teachers Shama Zaidi, Javed Siddiqui and Saeed Jaffrey, all spewing venom and tearing me apart because Urdu with a Bengali accent is certainly peculiar.

And another unique skill was for a Bengali film Pratidaan where I had to learn wild the lathi to play the baddie while Naseer and Sharmila played the romantic lead.

Urmila Matondkar: "For Naina I had to learn and understand the complete body language of the blind. I also got to understand the psychological changes and physical disturbances in a person after she gains her vision. It was then that I realized how much we take our senses for granted."

No comments: