Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bollywood Star John Abraham Supporting Germany

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/seeucom/actress3/john_abraham_unveils_john1ki.jpg

Named the brand ambassador for ESPN for the mega event, John is gung-ho about the tournament.

Speaking to Goal.com, John said, “I have been following Germany since a long time right from the days of Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.”

The former model’s love for football is well-known as he captained his school team and wanted to take it up as a career.

When asked why he did not, “because of studies and the perception that football didn’t have much of a future then,” said the actor in a reflective tone.

“But I want to change that,” says a determined John, which proves that he isn’t one of those who just talk in the air.

John’s passion for football took another step when he inaugurated the first ever professional I-League last season when champions Dempo squared against Salgaocar.

He has met Mr.Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, the President of All India Football Federation (AIFF) in his bid to improve the state of the people’s game.

“I said, Priya Da (Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi) I am not a superstar but I shall do what it takes to help build the game in this country,” informs the actor who is known to take up causes and give his all for it.

Ask him about his favourite club and John says, “I don’t follow clubs in particular but I follow players. I like Torres, Fabregas, Ballack and Drogba too. Amongst managers, I like Arsene Wenger. So, I do like Liverpool and Arsenal.”

The ‘Dhan-Dhana-Dhan Goal’ star hasn’t yet got over Champions League and comments on some of the key moments.

“I believe Liverpool would have been in the finals if Torres wasn’t taken off in the extra time of the second leg. If you ask me, I would say Chelsea deserved to win the Champions League as they twice hit the woodwork. In the second half they played very well though the first half they were equally disappointing.

“Also I feel John Terry slipped and missed the crucial penalty as the ground was wet. Again this is a subjective opinion.”

John Abraham would be hoping that Ballack carries his supreme form in the English Premier League (EPL) to the Euro 2008 and thus, lead the Germans to their fourth European Championship title.

No comments: