Sunday, October 5, 2008

John and Abhishek were cool acting gay!

http://bollywoodbuzz.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/aajmiami.JPG
Dostana's director says Bollywood Hotmen John Abraham and Abhishek Bachchan were not uncomfortable essaying their gay roles. Tarun Mansukhani, whose directorial debut is releasing on 14th November 2008, was assistant director to the films like Mohabattein and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. We spoke to Tarun about the movie.

Q: How did you meet Karan Johar?

A: “My sister and Karan were school friends. When Karan decided to start his film career, he asked my sister if I would be interested. In those days, Karan and I were assisting Anand Mahendru Sir in Dekh Bhai Dekh. During Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna when I was AD, I gave him the script of Dostana. He asked me to improve upon the script and this brings my first ever film.”

Q: What is Dostana about?

A: “It is about three friends -- Abhishek Bachchan(Sameer), John Abraham(Kunal) and Priyanka Chopra (Neha). Abhishek plays a male nurse at a hospital in Miami, John is a photographer, who is an illegal immigrant in Miami and Priyanka works with the Verve magazine in Miami. The story is about how the three strangers come together, live together in an apartment and have their moments of happiness and sorrow.”

Q: Do you think that this Gay concept will work among the Indian masses?

A: “This concept is not new in India though its bold concept and I think it’s the issue that needs to be touched upon while in Dostana both Abhishek and John act gay which will surely be remembered as the Kantaben of Kal Ho Naa Ho.”





Q: How did John and Abhishek react on knowing they had to act gay?

A: “They are cool, open-minded people and lives in the modern world and I remember I had narrated the story to John, he laughed and said, 'should I do this with Abhishek?' and that is all. Neither of them had any doubts.

Q: The old Dostana film had Amitabh Bachchan-Shatrugan Sinha in tough - guy roles. How is yours similar to it?

A: “No, this film and that film is completely different as the old Dostana is legend and I hope this film will also work as its tribute to Yash Johar uncle.”

Q: There are two item numbers by Shilpa Shetty and SRK, tell us about those.

A: “It’s not item numbers as both these songs will surely be the highlight of the film. I know SRK since Mohabattein and so I asked him during Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna to be part of my film and he said yes without any hesitation.”

Q: So, after Dostana what’s next?

A: “Let this movie get release then only I will work for another and it will under Dharma productions.”

No comments: