Monday, April 14, 2008

'Pankh' is a crazy role, but I like it: Bipasha Basu

Bipasha Basu

Dusky and doe-eyed glamour girl Bipasha Basu, who got a makeover in Madhur Bhandarkar's Corporate, is trying to create a balance between commercial and art house cinema by doing unusual films like Pankh.

'I believe that I do have the intelligence to understand that I need to keep the balance between commercial entertainer and art-house and only then can I command different audiences,' Bipasha told IANS.

'It is interesting for an actor to think about audience interest, but then I would not do a film like Pankh.'

In director Shudipto Chattopadhyay's Pankh, Bipasha plays an imaginary character.

'I play an alter ego. I am an imaginary character - the protagonist in the film is a boy called Maradona; he has done a fabulous job,' said Bipasha who was recently seen in Race.

'It is about a boy who goes through gender confusion. He is a child artiste but plays a female child artiste and is very popular. Then he grows up and wants to be launched as a hero but there is a kind of confusion in his mind.

'The boy's family is poor and they want to make it big. The pressure of parents and ridicule make it a very sad situation for him. Eventually he creates this imaginary character he is in love with. And that imaginary character happens to be an actress as well. It is quite a crazy role and many would say why Bipasha has done it, but I like it so I do it.'

Bipasha is also doing Rituparno Ghosh's Bengali film Shab Choritro Kalpanik where she plays Prasenjit Chatterjee's wife who falls in love with her husband after his death.

No comments: